Immigrate to Germany2022-04-28T13:01:36+02:00


Is a federal parliamentary republic in central-western Europe. It includes 16 constituent states, covers an area of 357,021 square kilometres (137,847 sq mi), and has a largely temperate seasonal climate. With about 82 million inhabitants, Germany is the most populous member state of the European Union. Known for its rich cultural history, Germany has been continuously the home of influential artists, philosophers, musicians, sportspeople and entrepreneurs. It is a global leader in science and technology. Immigrate to Germany today.

  • Population: 83,02 million (2019)
  • Language: German
  • Time Zone: CET (UTC+1)
  • Dialling Code: +49
  • Currency: Euro (EUR)


Work visas are available for graduates of German universities, academics, as well as for graduates of vocational training courses. For a work visa as a qualified professional your qualifications must be recognised as comparable to German qualifications. You need to have an offer of employment in Germany, and the prior approval of the Federal Employment Agency. IBN assists in obtaining this pre-approval.

If you couldn’t find a job, there is the possibility to obtain a residence permit that allows you to seek employment. This can be issued for 6 months, during which you must be able to support yourself and provide proof of possessing the German language skills required for the job you are seeking. You are not able to enter into remunerated employment during this time.

There is also a visa category available if you want to start your own business or work as a freelancer.

You need to apply for a visa in person at the German representation in your country of residence/ home country. A visa can be issued for up to 3 months.

Due to the Schengen Agreement, citizens of Non-Schengen countries can enter the whole Schengen territory with the Schengen Visa. With a Schengen visa you can travel and stay not only in Germany, but all 26 countries that participate in the Schengen Agreement for a period of up to 90 days in any 180-day period. You are not entitled to work on this visa.

A Schengen Visa is a visa for visiting/travelling to and within the Schengen Area. The Schengen Area is comprised of 26 countries that have agreed to allow free movement of their citizens within this area as a single country. Schengen area covers the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Liechtenstein.

Regarding the purpose of the travel, there are several types of a Schengen visa issued by the designated embassy/consulate. There are 3 types: Uniform Schengen Visas (USV), Limited territorial validity visas (LTV) and National visas.

You can apply for a Business visa if you are travelling to Germany for conferences, meetings or academic research. The Business visa will be issued for up to 90 days. You need to apply in person at the embassy / consulate in your country of origin or residence. Your require the following documentation: company bank statements from the previous three months, invitation letter from the business partner in Germany in English or German, detailed schedule of your business meetings for stays over 30 days as well as a confirmation letter from your health insurance stating coverage for emergency medical or hospitalization with a minimum of 30,000 Euros. Furthermore, you need to provide the consulate with your flight reservation as well as proof of accommodation for your entire stay.

If you would like to do an internship in Germany, you require an offer for an internship and the approval of the Federal Employment Agency (BA). If you have documents proving both, you should apply for a visa to the competent embassy or consulate before travelling to Germany. Your internship may not last more than twelve months and can only be extended in exceptional cases. Some internships do not require the agreement of the Federal Employment Agency. These include internships under EU-funded programmes (Leonardo, Socrates, Erasmus, etc.).

You can apply for the EU Blue Card if you are a highly skilled worker and an academic. Your foreign university degree must be comparable to a German university degree. Furthermore, a qualified employment contract needs to be put in place, with a minimum annual gross salary as determined by the regulations.

For specialists in the fields of mathematics, IT, natural sciences, engineering and human medicine the required minimum salary can be lower, provided you earn the same amount as a comparable German worker. In this case, prior approval of the Federal Employment Agency is required.

As soon as you are living in your area of responsibility in Germany, you can receive your EU BLUE CARD from the regional foreign department. You need to make sure to apply for an entry visa to Germany to receive your work permit. The EU Blue Card is a residence permit which, when issued for the first time, is valid for a maximum of four years.

The holder of an EU Blue card is entitled to apply for permanent residence after 33 months, or 21 months, if you can prove German language skills at level B1 of the Common European Reference Framework for Languages.

Your dependent family can apply for a residence permit if you have a residence permit as an employee or an EU Blue Card for Germany. Furthermore, you need to prove that you have rented accommodation which is large enough for your accompanying family, you need to have sufficient financial means and your spouse needs to be over the age of 18.

As soon as a residence permit is issued to your accompanying family, they are entitled immediately to take up any kind of employment in Germany.

Your family must not speak German e.g. if you are an EU Blue Card holder, you are working in Germany as a highly-qualified worker or a research scientist.

Your children under the age of 16 can accompany you to Germany on a residence permit. For children over the age of 16 special rules apply. Your family needs to apply et the embassy/ consulate in their home country.

We provide a full range of immigration services for Germany. With our professional and trusted network of partners, we have the pulse on policy issues and the practical reality, which governs immigration rules & regulations.

We will first do a consultation, on which visa would be the correct one for you. We advise on the required documentation and compile the complete application on your behalf. We will help you save time gathering the required documents to finalize your application.

Together with our expert partners located in Germany, we can offer assistance both on South Africa and Germany.

Germany has two types of visa for assignees, ICT Intra Company Transfer and International Staff Exchange program.

They are applicable to specialists, senior managers, and trainees. The home and host entity must belong to the same group of companies and must be financially linked.

Go to Top