In Kenya, this visa is also known as a Special Pass. The Special Pass is processed in country and does not require the applicant to be present.
Who can apply?
The Special Pass is furnished under regulation 34 of the Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Regulations Act.
This visa is issued to persons entering Kenya:
- To apply for a review if a permit has been denied (for a limited time).
- To apply for a permit or pass.
- To conduct business or training for a short period.
Documentation – What will I need to apply?
- A completed and signed Form 32 – Special Pass application
- A copy of the Special Pass checklist which can be downloaded here
- A comprehensive, detailed cover letter for the attention of the Director of Immigration Services from the individual applying or the organisation they will be working for
- Two passport photos in colour
- A copy of the bio-data page of your passport
- Documents detailing current immigration status, including copies of permits or passes held currently
- A copy of your employer or organisation’s Registration Certificate
- Certified copies of academic and professional certificates
- Copy of official acknowledgement if a permit application is in progress
- Clearance letters from relevant authorities
NB: Documents in foreign languages should be translated into English by a notary, the Embassy or an authorised institution.
Steps to approval:
To apply for the Special Pass, get in touch with one of our immigration specialists to get started.
1: Contact your IBN Immigration consultant, who will advise you on the requirements.
2: Collate your documentation and share with your consultant for review.
3: Your completed application pack will go through an in-house quality check.
4: Your consultant is then ready to submit your application to the relevant immigration authority.
Duration – How long will my visa be valid?
- It takes two weeks to obtain an approval of your Special Pass
- Thereafter, a government fees payment should be made to issue your Special Pass
- The Special Pass is valid for 90 days, after which you may take up work or training activities
- The Special Pass may be extended three times or for a total of nine months. However, to extend the pass, a Work Permit application must be submitted before the second extension of the Special Pass. This application must be approved before the Special Pass can be extended.
- Individuals residing outside East Africa – 15 050 Kenyan Shillings for one month or 45 050 Kenyan Shillings for three months
- Individuals residing within East Africa member states– Free
NB: If payment is not received within 30 days, the Special Pass approval will be revoked.
What restrictions apply to this visa?
You may only work for the employer or organisation specified in your documentation. You will not be permitted to work at a third-party site.
Can my dependants accompany me on this visa?
Your dependants will not be able to accompany you on a Special Pass but may apply for a separate tourist visa.
Will this visa allow for a path to permanent residence?
The duration of this visa is too short to allow for a path to permanent residence.