Uganda is situated in East Africa with a total country population of 37.58 million. The capital, Kampala, is Uganda’s national and commercial capital bordering Lake Victoria, Africa’s largest lake. Tourism in Uganda is focused on Uganda’s landscape and wildlife. It is a major driver of employment, investment and foreign exchange. Tourist attractions in Uganda include national game parks, game reserves, traditional sites, natural tropical forests.
Immigrate to Uganda today!


Tourist visa’s in Uganda are issued upon arrival to visa exempt passport holders and are valid for a period up to 90 days. Visa restricted passport holders would need to apply for their tourist visa at the relevant Ugandan mission in their country of origin or residence or they can apply using the Uganda E-Immigration System which is the online portal for lodging applications. Tourist Visas in Uganda are single entry only.

Nationals of East African Partner States holding valid passports and other acceptable travel documents may be issued with a visitor’s pass on arrival at a port of entry into Uganda valid for up to 90 days on multiple entry.

A Business visa in Uganda does not allow for work activities to be conducted. Attending conferences, seminars, training and meetings are the only form of activity allowed on this visa. The applicant can choose between a single or multiple entry visa which is valid for up to 90 days and cannot be extended.

Business visas to Uganda are to be applied for online via the Uganda E-Immigration System before entering the country. Submission online is both for visa restricted as well as visa exempt passport holders. Once your application is submitted and approved, your approval letter will be sent to you via email allowing you to enter Uganda for business purposes. For visa, restricted passport holders, you may be required to submit a physical application at the nearest Ugandan embassy before the approval letter is sent to you.

Uganda has a ‘Special Pass’ which allows the applicant to conduct short term business activities for a period not exceeding 3 months. The applicant, on this pass, can temporarily conduct business, trade or profession in Uganda. This is often used as an interim work permit whilst the long term work permit is pending. The Special Pass can only be extended once.

The Special Pass is however slowly being phased out in Uganda, it is there for important to contact IBN prior to your suggested project or attendance in Uganda for this matter, to receive an update on whether the Special Pass may still exist.

There are different types of longer term work permits namely, Class A to Class G2. Work permits are differentiated between by means of activity and or the industry the applicant will be working in. Class G2 is the most popular work permit applied for in Uganda and is for person’s intending to work as employees whether for gain or not in Uganda.

Class C permits are for prescribed professions intending to invest in the prospecting business of Minerals or Mining in Uganda.

Class G1 permits are for person’s who want to work for an NGO, as a volunteer or as a Missionary in Uganda.

Work authorization is issued by the Ministry of Internal Affairs. Work permits in Uganda do not require local residence permits. Residence permits or alien cards do not exist in Uganda.

All applications for Ugandan work permits must first be applied for online, once approved, IBN will submit a physical application in Uganda. The application for the work permit will be submitted by our local provider because local authorities need to be approached.

It is important to ensure that the work permit application is started as early as possible as requirements and procedures are likely to change at times and can affect the applicant’s work start date.

Application of work permits must be done and obtained prior to arriving in Uganda. Some of the requirements are:

Certified copies of your passport which must be valid for at least 6 months, your CV, highest degree/education certificate, passport photographs, Police Clearance Certificate, Medical Report, employment contract, motivational letter from the employer, operating/business license and company registration documents.

The holder of a work permit can include dependents on his/ her permit by making an application for dependents pass. Family members who are dependent on the applicant for their living and well-being like the spouse and children will be included as dependent pass holders on the main applicant’s permit. Life-partners and homosexual marriages are not recognized in Uganda; therefore, spousal dependents are only for heterosexuals.

A Dependent Pass also applies to a person with a disability who is unable to maintain his/herself and depends on the main applicant for his/her maintenance and wellbeing.

It should be noted that these family members shall not engage in any employment in Uganda. The permit is cancelled upon expiry or cancellation of the principal’s permit.

A student pass may be issued to a foreigner intending to study in a post-secondary or academic institution in Uganda if he/she has been accepted in a program of study at a recognized Ugandan institution.

A Pupil Pass may be issued to a foreigner intending to study in a primary or secondary school. Pupil Passes will be issued to the children and/or dependents of foreign nationals who hold a valid Work Permit.

We provide a full range of immigration services for Uganda. With our professional and trusted network of partners, we have the pulse on policy issues and the practical reality, which governs immigration rules & regulations.

We will first do a consultation, on which visa or permit would be the correct one for you. We advise on the required documentation and compile the complete application on your behalf. We will help you save time gathering the required documents to finalize your application.

There is great advantage in having a reliable local representative who will submit the application in Uganda, and also collect the resulting documents for you.


Go to Top