Home » Immigration to South Africa

Your journey to living in South Africa starts here:

South Africa was recently ranked third in Rand Merchant Banks’ report on “Where to Invest in Africa”. This accolade reinforces the growing reputation of the “Rainbow Nation” as a popular immigration destination. Other factors include its economic growth, plentiful natural resources, diverse population and stunning, varied landscapes.

Whether you’re considering a visit, work, business investment, study or retirement in South Africa, our African immigration experts will help you find the perfect Visa for your journey. Immigrate to South Africa today!

Make South Africa your Home with a Permanent Residence Permit

The Permanent Residence permit allows the holder various advantages, including security from future immigration law changes, entering the job market on equal grounds as a South African citizen, feeling at home in South Africa, and fewer banking and financial limitations.

Permanent Residence Permit South Africa



You can apply for a tourist visa extension in South Africa once only, this should be done 60 days prior to the expiry of your original tourist visa. However, if you have less than 60 days left on your tourist visa, you can still apply for an extension adding a “letter of good cause” explaining while you are late in submitting your application and it will be at the discretion of Home Affairs to grant you an extension or not.

You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week on the Study Visa and you do not need a special permit to do so.

No, if you enter South Africa to do any time of work you must have an appropriate work visa. In this case, you would apply for a section 11(2) visa which is typically designed for punctual short work missions. What is considered as “work” is any activity, remunerated or not, which is in line with the usual activities performed in your work environment abroad.

There are different categories of work visas in South Africa which you could apply for: which one will apply to you will depend on a lot of factors.

The work visas are:

  • ICT (Intra Company Transfer) visa: issued for 4 years, it is ideal for employees transferred from a company overseas to work at its South African branch for a fixed period of time and in a specific capacity. It is issued in the country of residence and not renewable.
  • Critical Skills visa: issued for 5 years, it is for people who have certain skills and qualifications deemed essential or “critical” to the economy of South Africa. It is linked with certain requirements such as a South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) certification and a registration to a SAQA-recognised Professional Body in South Africa.
  • General Work visa: issued for 5 years, it basically applies to employees who do not qualify for an ICT nor a Critical Skills visa. It is the most lengthy and most difficult to obtain as the potential employer would have to prove that he/she cannot fill the position with a South African citizen or permanent resident (PR).

You can start your own business – or purchase an existing business – but for this you will need to obtain a Business Visa and it is issued initially for 3 years and is renewable.

You need to fulfill various requirements, such as:

  • Your business must belong to a sector which is not declared ‘undesirable’
  • You need to prove that you are able and willing to invest at least R5 million in the business
  • You need at least 60% of your prospective employees to be employed in your business to be South African Citizens or PR holders

The proof of compliance to the above listed requirements will have to be submitted within 12 months of issuance of the business visa.

The application for a business visa is first processed by the DTI (Department of Trade and Industry) which will look at the business plan and other business documents and decide whether to recommend positively or negatively the business by issuing a “Letter of Recommendation” which will be communicated to Department of Home Affairs (DHA) or the South African  Representation abroad. This is a very important step as the decision of the DTI will influence largely the final decision of the relevant authorities to issue the business visa or reject it.

Your parents will need to obtain a “Retired Person Visa” which will allow them to retire in South Africa for 4 years. To do so, they must prove that they receive a monthly pension equivalent to a minimum of ZAR37, 000. Or alternatively, a lump sum available of the equivalent of this monthly income for the whole duration of the visa, 4 years.

This is not necessary. One of your parents can be the main applicant and show a pension of ZAR37, 000. and your other parent will enter on an “accompanying spouse visa” and does not need to show a pension, it is sufficient to prove that the main applicant as more than ZAR8, 500 per month to support his/her spouse.

One is eligible for permanent residence permission based on the following categories:

  • Based on financial independence: One must prove a minimum net worth (assets worldwide) in excess of ZAR 12million. If granted, note that there is a “success fee” of ZAR 120,000.00 payable to HA (Home Affairs).
  • Based on retirement: One would need to prove a monthly income of ZAR 37,000.00 derived from assets (in RSA or abroad).
  • Based on work: For anyone who has been holder of a work permit (ICT doesn’t qualify) for 5 years consecutively and who has received a permanent offer of employment.

It can take anything between 12 to 18 months and HA in Pretoria adjudicates the permanent residence permit.

Your permanent residence will for example lapse if you leave the country for longer than 3 years consecutively.

Yes, South Africa recognizes life partnership and therefore the life-partner can apply together with the main applicant (if the relationship exists for more than 2 years) and doesn’t need to apply in his/her own right. For the life-partner who is attached to the main applicant and qualifies for a “spousal and life partner visa”, the duration of the relationship (2 years/+) must be proven via various means proving cohabitation: common bank account; shared accommodation; affidavit; notarial agreement.

Yes, South Africa is very open in that respect and recognizes same sex marriages. However, same sex marriages applicants will have to provide additional documents such as: in case of a foreign spousal relationship, proof of official recognition thereof issued by the authorities of the foreign country; notarial agreement attesting that the permanent relationship exists for longer than 2 years; notarial agreement attesting that neither of the parties is a spouse of an existing marriage or of another permanent homosexual or heterosexual relationship.

The Adjusted Critical Skills List in South Africa

The Department of Home Affairs has published an update to the Critical Skills List, effective 2 August 2022 (note that a version published on 1 August 2022 was missing page 20). Corrections and minor changes are included, as well as substantial and welcome changes in the medical field.

Go to Top